Monday, February 19, 2007

Noro Kureyon One-Ball Wavy Gravy Hat Pattern


Is that a long enough name for a pattern? Anyway, this hat uses a little less than one ball of Noro Kureyon. I wanted to come up with a hat pattern that would use that one odd ball I always have laying around, but have the hat be long enough to cover the ears (I'm not a big fan of beanies). Plus, the pattern stitch is very stretchy... although the finished diameter of the hat is 17", it stretches comfortably around my 22" noggin (I have a verry large head).


Dimensions: 7.5" from center of crown to base of scalloped brim. 17" diameter- but can accomodate a wide range of head sizes (see above).

Yarn: 1 ball Noro Kureyon (hat shown in color #159 )

Needles: 1 16" or 20" circular in 5 mm (US#8). Set of 5 dpn in same size.

Gauge: 5 st/inch and 8 rows/inch in stockinette stitch.

Instructions:

Using long-tail CO, loosely cast on 72 sts

Join, taking care not to twist

Rnds 1&4: purl

Rnd 2: knit

Rnd 3: *(k2tog) two times, (yo,k1) four times, (k2tog) two times* rep from * to * to end of rnd

Rnds 5&6: knit

Rnd 7: as Rnd 3

Rnd 8: purl

Repeat rnds 5-8 a total of 9 times.

Knit two rnds

Decrease for crown:

Rnd 1: *k7, k2tog* rep from *to* to end of round (64 sts rem)

Rnd 2: knit

Rnd 3: *k6, k2tog* rep from *to* to end of round (56 sts rem)

Rnd 4: knit

Continue as established, decreasing 8 sts every other rnd until 8 sts rem. Draw yarn through the remaining stitches and fasten off. Block lightly.

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Strumpstickan said...

Great Colours! Noro seems like an intresting yarn. I have not tryed it yet...

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had seen your pattern before I did the one in One Skein Wonders! I too have a large head and that one is too small! Ever post any pictures of Alaska? I am very into "Men in Trees" right now and would love to see it!

4:56 AM  
Blogger Margie said...

I made a similar hat using Silk Garden a few years ago and DD snagged it. It was a little bright for me, anyway. Thanks for the reminder. I have more Silk Garden and I might make another one. Mine used the 18 stitch repeat of the feather and fan pattern.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love this pattern! I've made a bunch of them already! Thank you so much for sharing it!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Cynthia Allison said...

Thank you. I have one ball of Noro left from a beautiful entrelac hat. This will be lovely.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Park Bench Knitter said...

Thanks for the pattern! I can't wait to try it out. Oh, and btw, about your headsize, I used to think I had a big head, until I lost a lot of hair from medications. It turns out, all those years, I just had a lot of hair! The upside to having 1/2 the hair I once had: many more hats fit!

9:32 AM  
Blogger Margie said...

Love the hat! I'm editing one of your hat patterns in Ravelry and wonder what you want your name to be listed as. I've changed it from Elizabeth Kodiak to Elizabeth IN Kodiak, but if you want a last name added just let me know. Margie (in Malf Moon Bay)

2:55 PM  
Blogger Becca said...

What a gorgeous pattern!

9:16 AM  
Blogger roxy =^o^= said...

Thank you for shring this awesome pattern - you are so talented!

1:17 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

I love Noro! Thank you for sharing this great looking hat pattern. I'm going to give it a try.

7:33 AM  
Blogger JanetofNQ said...

Hi! I am fairly new to hats so I have a question. Could I use this lovely shape and tweak it so it becomes a lot longer and shields my face from the sun? I am thinking of a big floppy cotton hat. Please don't be offended that I want to desecrate your gorgeous pattern; I live in tropical Australia and the sun is very damaging here.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

great hat...I made a matching one for toddler, adapting it somewhat. they look adorable together! Thanks so much.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Lynn Majidimehr said...

Beautiful hat, thank you for the pattern! I'm looking forward to knitting it in the future with some of my handspun.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Rose Glad said...

Thanks for the pattern! I knitted it today but my yarn is not as vibrant a choice as what you have pictured, going to get some of THAT and do another!

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home