Monday, November 13, 2006

Naiad Scarf

naiad


This pattern is a great way to use up odds and ends of yarn. You will need approximately 250 yds of worsted weight yarn for this project. Thinner yarns can be doubled and the nature of this pattern makes it such that small differences is gauge do not have an adverse effect on the finished product. I used yarns chosen to compliment a ball of Noro Kureyon #150, 1 ball of which was used as the primary yarn in this project.

The entire scarf is worked lengthwise in Old Shale Stitch as follows:

Row 1 (rs): knit
Row 2: purl
Row 3: *(k2tog) three times, (yo, k1) six times, (k2tog) three times* repeat from * to * to end of row
Row 4: knit

To make this scarf, you will need a 60” circular in Size US # 11 to accommodate all of the stitches. After each row, break the yarn, leaving an 8” tail for fringe (optional)

How to do it:

Cast on 180 st loosely

Work in Old Shale stitch, repeating four rows of pattern 6 times. I broke the yarn at the end of each row, leaving 8 inches for fringe. Bind off loosely. Tie off fringe to prevent unraveling and trim evenly. That’s it!

4 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

What a clever idea. I've seen lots of lengthwise scarfs, and I've knitted a feather and fan scarf. The combination though is really effective.

4:47 AM  
Blogger Theresa Novak said...

Wow, that is really cute. It really works well in the colors that you choose. The name is great, too. Looks like an awesome and easy Christmas gift.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Hi,

I love this scarf and would like to knit it, but I think I'm stuck.

If I break the yarn off every row, then don't I end up with all separate rows? How do they become knit together?

As you can see, I'm kinda new at this.

thank you,
Deb

8:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Why size 11 needles?

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home